Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Mistakes

Slip-ups. The number one embarassment we as fragile humans, sadly, will endure throughout our lives. Its a time when even the most profound of personalities, the most prominent of masters and the most skilled of trades lose its balance, and the foundations of perfection suffer that, even if a little, crack or nibble. It will be a moment of utter loss, of utter shock, even utter agony, to let others know that you, whoever you have always been perceived to be, too, have a weakness, a soft spot. An Archille's heel if I may. But perceiving such an event as a travesty would be foolish. Because, of all the possible ideas you may get into another person's head, the most important piece you are placing within them, is that you too, are HUMAN. And there's nothng wrong with that. ^^Everyone dreams of a cloudless blue sky, to dance with the birds and bees. But life is never all perfect. It never is. And it never will be.

Mistakes, are, say a disaster to many. Frankly, I've made so many its tearing a hole into my rep even I can't manage to stitch into place. However, its not the degree of seriousness of the mistake that judges the situation. Its the way you look at the mistake, and how you turn the tides that really reflect who you are, and what you are capable of achieving. Why cry over spill milk when you can say you were feeding the cat? Learning how to handle mistkaes is an art, and it takes a master to really turn any situation into his or her favour. Artists use creativity to turn junk soneone else's junk into a master piece. Celebrities empower themselves with so much hippocracy that they can outwit the world by telling them that 'I meant to do that'. Politicians use cliches like 'Its for the benefit of the people' , 'Its what the people will want', and 'Long Live The Queen' when they do something as silly as fart, cuz by doing so they never have to own up, and people move on to the next big thing, putting the embarrasment behind them once and for all. There this negative side of people, that we will never remember the greatest of achievements. No one bothers to remember the guy who invented the first abacus, or even the guy who gave the abacus its name. But everyone remembered that Miss USA fell on the stage, Micheal Jackson broke his nose, and Ronaldo missed the darn penalty! There will come a time when you will let something loose, no matter how careful you are. No matter how many precautions you take, how many times you rehearse that speech, or remember that line. Life is well, unfair. It doesn't matter if your the CEO, or Bon Jovi. Nobody can let a day go by without making something as inevitable, as a MISTAKE.

Mistakes are about making the wrong choices, or taking the wrong turns. Sometimes, its easy to say just go back where you came from and start over. But, life is not always about having a second chance. You'll be lucky if you had one, but if you didn't? Is it my fault that the London bridge just happened to fall and crush me to bits? Is it my fault that the darn Krakatua won't give me that extra 5 mins to get off the island? Or is it my fault that lightning just had to strike at the pool of water I was just standing on? So, when we cannot avoid mistakes, we prevent them. As best as we can. We make precautons. We make preparations, be it mentally, physically or emotonally. We analyse the risks involved, the whole story behind it. We understand what will and will not happen, the ifs and whys, hows whats and what-nots, so that when we make that final jump across the canyon, and if we fall, we know that it can't be helped, because we have done everything in our power to prevent this sort of thing from happening to us. So, better still. Don't make that jump. Take the bridge. Its longer, but at least, you didn't make a mistake that you will regret.

My life was about mistakes here and there, the wrong people, the wrong ideas, concepts and choices of action. And now, as you grow older, you get better. You gather more experience about the things around you. You learn to avoid the things you have to. You learn to control yourself better. You learn that taking the backlane's gonna get you into another mugging. So, as we grow, we improve, and we minimize our mistakes. Not totally, but we are getting somewhere, and hopefully, its just enough to get you through life in a carefree manner. Because we know, at least, that I've been there, and I've done all that, so if I were still going to die in a car crash in some wicked twist of faith, so be it. At least I've got my safety belts on, eh?

Still, I feel lke I've lost too much to account for the mistakes that I've done. The price I had to pay, was, too high, and there was nothng I could do about any of it. But the one thing is this. I'll move on. No matter what this whacked up road called 'Life' may take me, I'll still persevere and move forward, and hopefully, I'll learn to do something right.

0 comments: